Chef de l'Entité du Patrimoine Vivant (Secteur de la Culture)
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The Living Heritage Entity (CLT/LHE) is responsible for the implementation of the 2003 Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage. It supports efforts to safeguard intangible cultural heritage, ensures respect for the intangible cultural heritage of the communities, groups and individuals concerned, and raises awareness of the importance of the intangible cultural heritage. The Entity supports the governance mechanisms of the Convention, develops periodic reporting and the assessment of nominations to the listing mechanisms. It also administers the International Assistance mechanism of the Intangible Cultural Heritage Fund and monitors related projects; designs, implements and monitors global programmes, strategies and funding priorities; develops new knowledge and training content; organizes training; provides technical backstopping for policy development; builds and maintains partnerships; develops resource mobilization proposals.
Under the direct supervision of the Assistant Director-General for Culture (ADG/CLT), the incumbent is responsible, in the context of the 2003 Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage, the UNESCO Medium-Term Strategy (C/4) and approved Programme and Budget (C/5), for ensuring the Secretariat of the Convention and for planning and implementing the programme of CLT/LHE. In this capacity, the incumbent is responsible for assisting the Statutory Organs of the Convention in all aspects of their decision-making; for the scientific and technical aspects of the design, implementation and monitoring of programmes, projects and activities in the areas of capacity building and policy development; for ensuring the appropriate visibility of the Convention and its contribution to the implementation of the UN-wide agendas for sustainable development and peace and security.
The incumbent leads the team of the Entity, and ensures the proper management of the approved programme and integrated budget of the Entity, while providing technical and analytical support for the planning, design, implementation, monitoring and reporting on programmes and projects as well as resource mobilization activities undertaken by the Entity, including for UNESCO’s Global Priorities (Africa and Gender Equality), priority groups and transversal thematic areas, such as Culture and Education, Culture and Climate Change, Indigenous Peoples, Small Island Developing States (SIDS), and Youth. As Chief of the Entity (CLT/LHE), s/he supervises the staff of CLT/LHE and provides day-to-day oversight of their work.
In particular, the incumbent will:
- Plan and organize the statutory meetings of the 2003 Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage. Contribute to the Statutory Organs of the Convention in all aspects of their decision-making, including the processing of all nomination files and international assistance requests submitted under the Convention.
- Ensure the intellectual and operational leadership for the scientific and technical aspects of the implementation and monitoring of programmes, projects and activities for safeguarding intangible cultural heritage.
- Lead the organization of scientific conferences and meetings of relevance to intangible cultural heritage; elaborate or commission relevant scientific studies and publications; coordinate the collection and promotion of good safeguarding practices . Ensure close cooperation with the Secretariats of the other UNESCO Conventions in the field of culture.
- Design, implement and monitor strategic approaches to translate the principles of the 2003 Convention for the Safeguarding of Intangible Cultural Heritage into policies and programmes at country and regional levels, notably by developing pedagogical materials, methods and tools, managing and implementing training and support activities. Provide guidance and backstopping to Field Offices for the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of capacity-building activities.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
- Communication (C)
- Accountability (C)
- Innovation (C)
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
- Planning and organizing (C)
- Results focus (C)
- Teamwork (C)
- Professionalism (C)
- Driving and managing change (M)
- Leading and empowering others (M)
- Making quality decisions (M)
- Managing performance (M)
- Strategic thinking (M)
- Building partnerships (M)
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in the field of culture, social sciences, political science, international relations, law, humanities, or a related discipline.
- Work experience
Minimum of ten (10) years progressively responsible relevant professional experience in designing and implementing programmes in the field of culture, of which preferably 5 years acquired at international level.
- Demonstrated and solid experience in managing intergovernmental processes in the field of culture.
- Experience in resource mobilization in the field of culture.
Excellent knowledge of English or French (written and spoken) and good knowledge of the other language.